Friday 12 February 2010

Pancake Mania

Shrove Tuesday is nearly upon us. I'm not a massive fan of traditional pancakes, I'm all about the thick American style with lashings of Maple Syrup. I saw these and have been waiting in trepidation ever since to finally get stuck in! I'm not a great cook, and rarely do I ever find myself hands deep in flour and baking trays - well I don't think I ever remember that happening. Though one of my New Years resolutions was to learn to be a better cook and its happening gradually. If you want to make these delicious looking bad boy pancakes then the recipe is easy and goes like this.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.
To get the desired rainbow affect just add small amounts of food colouring to each little batch, and hey presto! Additive heaven!

1 comment: